Wisdom Teeth in Largo, MD
Woodview Oral Surgery Offers Top-quality Wisdom Teeth Services in Largo:
Welcome to Woodview Oral Surgery, your premier oral surgery provider in Largo. Our experienced and knowledgeable dental professionals are here to help you achieve a healthy, winning smile. Our custom dental procedures, including wisdom teeth removal in Largo, are designed to provide a seamless and trouble-free solution for every patient. When it comes to wisdom teeth removal, make wise choices by choosing our trusted team of experts in Largo, MD.
We are dedicated to providing our patients with the safest and most effective dental treatments available. At Woodview Oral Surgery, we strive to ensure that our patients are educated and informed about their dental care options for your peace of mind.
We understand that the thought of undergoing any oral surgery can be intimidating, which is why we make sure to provide a safe and comfortable environment every step of the way.
Understanding Wisdom Teeth:
The wisdom teeth, often referred to as the third molars, are the final set of molars that erupt in a person's mouth. In most people, wisdom teeth emerge between the ages of 17 and 21, and they are situated at the back of the mouth.
Our wisdom teeth are classified as vestigial, which signifies that these once served a purpose in our evolutionary past, yet their functionality is no longer relevant today. Therefore, it is not essential for us to keep them in the long run. As a direct consequence of this, the removal of one's third molars is an extremely common dental treatment and is performed by oral surgeons all across the country.
There are several reasons why wisdom teeth extraction may be necessary, including:
- Impacted or misaligned teeth
- Crowding of existing teeth
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
At Woodview Oral Surgery, we are dedicated to ensuring that your wisdom teeth extraction is a comfortable and stress-free experience, regardless of the reason for the procedure.
Signs and Symptoms of Wisdom Teeth Problems - When to Seek Treatment:
Pain, swelling, difficulty opening the mouth, headaches, and jaw pain are all common signs and symptoms of wisdom teeth problems. If you are experiencing the development of your wisdom teeth, it is important to watch out for these indications. A few common signs and symptoms of wisdom teeth problems can include:
- The wisdom teeth's position might cause mild to severe facial pain from nerve-ending pressure.
- The wisdom teeth may crowd the other teeth, resulting in redness or swelling.
- You may also notice swelling on the affected side's cheek.
- You may have difficulties opening your mouth.
- People may also experience headaches in some situations.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it's important to seek treatment from a specialist to prevent further complications.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure in Largo:
Procuring the removal of wisdom teeth is often quite straightforward, and likely entails similar steps under the supervision of an experienced oral surgeon like Dr. Tania Nkungula. Following are the steps that are typically involved:
Diagnosis - What to Expect During Your Initial Consultation:
During your initial consultation, one of our knowledgeable oral surgeons will review your medical history, conduct a comprehensive examination, discuss any concerns you have, and develop a personalized treatment plan to meet your individual needs.
Local Anesthesia and Anxiety Reduction:
We strive to make sure our patients are at ease throughout the entire procedure and take all of the necessary measures to reduce any pain or anxiety. Generally, local anesthesia is administered for a more comfortable experience.
Procedure and Timeframe:
Our team will carefully remove your wisdom teeth without damaging the surrounding soft tissue and bone structures. The procedure typically takes between 30 minutes and 2 hours, depending on the complexity of the case.
Following wisdom teeth removal, it usually takes approximately seven days to resume your daily activities. To expedite a comfortable healing process, we provide our patients with simple guidelines of "Do's and Don'ts."
Complications and Risks of Wisdom Teeth Removal:
Wisdom teeth removal is a safe and low-risk procedure. However, like any other medical intervention, it may be associated with certain complications. Possible risks of wisdom teeth removal include:
- Infections - Infection is a common complication following any surgical procedure. In order to reduce the risk, we advise our patients to follow postoperative instructions.
- Nerve Damage - Rarely, temporary or permanent damage to the nerves responsible for feeling and controlling facial muscles may occur as a result of surgery.
- Dry Socket - This is an inflammation of the jawbone that can occur if the blood clot in the extraction site is dislodged. This can usually be addressed with a special medicated dressing to protect and heal the area.
- Damage Near Tooth - The wisdom teeth may be located near other important structures like nerves and major blood vessels. As a result, the surrounding areas must be carefully monitored during removal to reduce the risk of injury.
Although these complications are rare, it is crucial to follow all the instructions provided by our oral surgeon to ensure a safe and successful recovery process. Going through any type of dental surgery no matter how minor can bring up numerous questions and concerns, thus, going to an experienced professional is of the highest priority.
Finding the Right Specialist for Wisdom Teeth Removal in Largo:
It is important to find a specialist who is experienced in wisdom teeth removal to ensure that you receive the best care possible. At our practice, we provide specialized wisdom teeth removal services, ensuring that you get the smile you deserve. Our team of experts including our senior surgeon Dr. Tania Nkungula will provide you with personalized care, ensuring that you receive the best care possible.
The team is here to answer any queries you may have, as well as provide all the information necessary for a successful and comfortable procedure.
How to Prepare for Wisdom Teeth Removal in Largo:
Most dentists may be able to perform the extraction; however, if your tooth is impacted significantly or requires a more complicated surgical method, it is recommended to consult with an oral surgeon like Dr. Tania Nkungula. A few questions you may ask us are:
- How many wisdom teeth need to be extracted?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- Will I need a CT scan before the procedure?
- What is the recovery process like and what should I expect after surgery?
If you are experiencing symptoms of wisdom teeth problems or require an evaluation, contact us today at (301) 341 0041 to schedule your consultation! We look forward to helping you achieve optimal oral health.